Monday 17 December 2012

Kale Soup - Healthy Style!

So I come from a Portuguese family and my vavo (grandmother) makes a killer kale soup. With this crappy weather I've been craving this hearty soup so I decided to try it....my way :)


I used all organic ingredients but if you choose not to, that's fine.


Kale Soup

2 tbsp of Olive oil

1/2 Medium onion (chopped)

1 Bay leaf (fresh or dried)

2 Cloves of garlic (chopped)

1/2 cup of Basmati rice (or any rice/potato you choose to use)

2 cups of Kale (This is an estimate I used frozen so just poured it in by eye)

Salt & Pepper

1/2 can Kidney beans (or other bean of choice)

1/2 can Diced tomato

1/2 quart of Chicken broth


I began by cooking the Basmati rice as directed on the package (for about 30 mins) - As the rice cooked, I prepped my onions and garlic. Once the rice was just about done, I began the soup.

In a medium-large pot heat the oil over med/high heat and add onions. Cook for about 5 min. with a cover, stirring occasionally. 

Next, add garlic, bay leafs, and kale to the pot. Cover and cook for about 2 min. 

Once the greens are wilted add the remaining ingredients - beans, tomatoes, broth, and rice. Season with salt & pepper. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce back to med/high heat for 5-10 min.


And....there you have it! I toasted a slice of Ezekial bread and spread on some Earth Balance because what goes better with soup than some warm toasty bread?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...