Wednesday 9 January 2013

Healthy Style Strawberry Pop Tart

I had some leftover strawberry chia jam and I've been dying to try this healthy pop tart recipe from CCK (another one of my favs).

I can't even count how many Pop Tarts I've eaten in my life... a lot. They are so good but so bad for you... they're filled with high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, and a whole bunch of ingredients you can't pronounce.

You don't have to give up snacks you love just replace them. In this case with whole grains and real fruit! I have to say this might be better than the real thing.


Healthy Style Strawberry Pop Tart

Crust
1/2 cup of spelt flour (or whole wheat pastry flour - just add a bit more oil)
1/4 tsp of salt
2 1/2 Tbsp of agave (or maple syrup or honey)
3/4 tsp of vanilla extract
2 Tbsp of coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
1 tsp of almond milk *My mixture was a bit dry so I added this

Combine dry ingredients. Mix in remaining wet ingredients. Smush into a ball with hands and place into a 1 gallon bag. Roll out into a large thin square. Place in the fridge for at least 20 min. 

Filling
*or any other type you'd like.. blueberries, apples with cinnamon, peanut/almond butter, or chocolate chips

Icing
about 1 cup of organic powdered sugar
2 Tbsp of almond milk
1/2 tsp of vanilla
2-3 strawberries

Place in blender/food processor until smooth. It should have a icing like texture, if not, add more powdered sugar. 

*I had to make a big batch of the icing because I used my Vitamix to get it smooth. Organic powdered sugar has chalk like texture that is hard to get smooth by hand. 
*If using regular powdered sugar use CCK method.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Take dough out of the fridge and cut open the bag. Be delicate with the dough - it breaks easily. 
With a knife, cut out the shape of two large rectangles (you probably will have remaining dough). Place the first piece onto a greased cookie sheet (or parchment paper). Spread on filling. Then place second piece on top. Using a fork, press down the edges to enclose filling. Place in the oven for 15-20 min or until golden brown. 
Remove from oven and let cool. Spread on icing. 

Either enjoy at that moment....orrrr like me make it the night before and place it in the toaster in the morning just like the real thing!



With my remaining dough I made a mini blueberry pie for dessert that night to go with my quinoa & egg patty...the wonders of leftovers







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...